Thursday, January 28, 2010

May I recommend a guide?

It has been snowing up here for a few days now, as it should be all the time. Today a woman called to confirm her reservations for snowmobiles for tomorrow. Sounding somewhat worried she paused during the conversation and asked if there was a possibility of their trip being cancled on account of the weather. I asked what exactly she mention because she couldn't possibily be asking what it sounded like she was asking. But she was. I had to think fast to come up with an answer that wouldn't completely offend her. Um.....mam..... No. Your trip will not be cancled... Snowmobiliers actually really like it when it snows... And on that note I see you haven't requested a guide for your outing tomorrow and may I just Highly recommend one? Or shall we just give search and resque a heads up right now?....... Sometimes I worry about people out there. Another question someone asked my manager was At what elevation does a deer become an elk? Hmmmm...... How do you even answer that without making them feel completely stupid? Well sir it happens at about 8000 feet. It's really quite an amazing thing to see......

5 comments:

Randi said...

OK WOW! Do you have a schedule for that deer to elk thing? Because I'd like to reserve a time.

I sometimes think city people really have NO idea about the kind of terrain there is in the west. I mean, then kind where you can go hundreds of miles and never see another human being.

Translate that to:
The search and rescue will look for you, but the likelihood is not really that great.

Lady! Spend the money on a guide. I promise you'll have a much better time AND you'll probably actually get home at the end of the day!

Dave said...

this made me lawl. I applaud you for your customer service skill of not making them sound dumb. I'm not sure I'd be able to resist.

"Well sir it happens at about 8000 feet. It's really quite an amazing thing to see......"

AWESOME!!

Jennifer said...

See...you are so nice even when people are idiots! :) And the Search and Rescue team also thanks you!

beckers said...

That's why I love you, Hannah. Cause you are nice. Even to stupid people. :)

Reminds me of Subway customers asking me "How long is a footlong?" Now and then, I really couldn't resist saying "About 13 inches."

Anonymous said...

Hannah, You are nice and funny. And those are two of the reasons that I wished your "middle of no where" was actually the far edge of nowhere next to me.